Monday, April 4, 2011

We've just had a wonderful child-free weekend away. It doesn't happen very often, so when it does it's embraced wholeheartedly. We escaped to Wellington via the Wairarapa. I've covered a lot of kilometres around the land of my birth but I had never had the opportunity to travel this way before, and I'm so glad we did. The first night was spent in Greytown, a gorgeous, quaint village. History has been preserved in the buildings, most of them lovingly restored. Great shopping and I'm still pondering on a coat I saw in the Trelise Cooper outlet store. Its price being the equivalent of 2 weeks groceries for the family is why I'm pondering and not wearing. Discovered also was a shop that sells limited addition Gary Tricker prints. I've loved his work since I first saw them as a teenager at an exhibition I was helping install and I've regretted not buying one then. Regrets really are a waste of time so I'll be back.

We awoke to a beautiful day on Saturday for the trip across the Rimutaka ranges to the city. Featherston is a little settlement at the base of the foothills and, apologies to any one from there, it's the rough diamond waiting to be polished, compared to it's neighbours of Greytown and Martinborough. We passed an old boarded up building and my heart skipped a beat; I pleaded with my beloved to turn the car around so I could snap this.  In my minds eye I can see this little gem restored. I'll need to win the lottery this coming weekend…

…I digress. Over the hills and far away we reached our destination. The much anticipated first glimpse of the harbour as we sped down the motorway, Somes Island in the middle of the shot…

… Ian Athfield's ever growing house on the hill above the motorway. I'd love to explore it as it's always intrigued me…

… finally we were there, a speeding fine later, but that's another story. The hotel we stayed at was overlooking the harbour and close to all we wanted to do. Roamed Te Papa and spent some time taking in the Brian Brake exhibition. Found a great cafe for lunch, FINC(food inc. I think), and an even better place for dinner, Monsoon Poon, and my cocktail of the moment, an apple martini. Monsoon Poon call it a Jimmy Choo with a lychee at the bottom of the glass, and chopsticks to fish it out with. I'm not advocating drinking alcohol, but it was divine. Our party of 8 walked dinner off and found another couple of bars that weren't populated by very enthusiastic youth. One of them was down an alleyway with men smoking cigars outside, speaking with Italian accents; very Sopranoesque. We didn't, or couldn't, stay long as they had a private party arriving. I wonder who they were, the mind boggles.

Breakfast in the morning at another one of the many to choose from cafes by the water, and then another stroll. Wherever you go throughout the city there is sculpture of one form or another and it makes it a very interesting and inspiring environment; this is one of my favourites. It appears to float midair and is so delicate looking.

I'd like one of the Nikau palm sculptures in my garden, aren't they grand. So we left fair Wellington on another sunny (slightly breezy) day, eager to return soon, and have more time to wander. To steal the words from the Monsoon Poon steps, love u long time.

Glad to be home though. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend too.


  1. Sounds like you had the perfect weekend!

  2. How lovely Flossie. Where did you stay in Greytown & was it lovely? Is the Trelise outlet shop there too? I stopped & took a photo of that shop in Featherston last time through that way too. Love the nikaus..any nikaus. I have one growing down in the back garden, so here's hoping one day it'll turn in to a real one. And yum lychees! and the message on the steps : ) Have a lovely week. Much love Catherine