Monday, February 28, 2011

Over 100 years ago. The Cathedral Tower now lies in ruin. 

A week of profound sadness has almost passed. So many have been deeply affected by the earthquake last Tuesday, many lives taken, homes and livelihoods damaged and ruined, a city brought to its knees. Like many others I watched in disbelief the images on the news, and contacted family and friends there to make sure they were okay. The wait for their replies seemed to take an eternity but we knew they had survived within 48hours, or as one put it "shaken not stirred". A huge relief; for others less fortunate this has not been the case. 

It has made me pause and appreciate the things I'm grateful for; having a roof over my head, food in the cupboards, electricity, a toilet that flushes, but most of all the people in my life. I'm thankful I have children that are healthy and happy, for having my beloved to share my life and love with, good and bad, and my dear friends for their love, patience and encouragement. 

It will take years for the pain of some to heal and for the city to be rebuilt. It will never be the same, it will evolve because it has to. Hopefully the outpouring of love and generosity that continues to be shown will go some way to help in that healing and recovery. 



Acknowledge the past that shaped us, live in the present with gusto and look forward to the promise the future holds. Never lose hope.

xxx








  

No comments:

Post a Comment